Characteristics of Management Information System (MIS)
Hi friends! In my last two posts I had discussed about MIS, its benefits, 5 elements of usable MIS, sources of management information, ouputs of MIS, Scheduled reports, Key Indicator report, Demand report, Exception report, drill down report and much more. In this one, I have tried to highlight Characteristics of Management Information System, MIS for competitive advantage, MIS and web technology & functional aspects of MIS.
Characteristics of a Management Information System
Provides reports with fixed and standard formats
- Hard-copy and soft-copy reports
- Uses internal data stored in the computer system
- End users can develop custom reports
- Requires formal requests from users
Management Information Systems for Competitive Advantage
- Provides support to managers as they work to achieve corporate goals
- Enables managers to compare results to established company goals and identify problem areas and opportunities for improvement
MIS and Web Technology
- Data may be made available from management information systems on a company’s intranet
- Employees can use browsers and their PC to gain access to the data
- MIS is an integrated collection of functional information systems, each supporting particular functional areas.